Weight Training is a great way to help with weight loss.
In the very least, it will aid in preventing weight gain.
Weight training is considered a higher intensity exercise and burns many calories during the activity. An added benefit is that your body will continue to burn calories after the workout due to the recovery needs (EPOC*).
Weight training will also aid you in maintaining a higher metabolism long-term, which will allow you to burn more calories. It can aid you in creating an energy deficit which is essential for weight loss.
Consistent weight training offsets Adult Sarcopenia, which is adult muscle loss. As you age, your body will lose 1/2 – 1 pound of muscle tissue annually; decreasing metabolism and making weight gain that much easier. Therefore, maintaining muscle tissue through weight training is essential for the short-term benefit of calorie burning and the long-term benefit of maintaining metabolic rate.
Weight training is also responsible for creating a fit looking body. Training with weight increases “tone”, allowing the body to take on a much more athletic appearance. Weight training is what allows you to change your shape. Weight Loss Exercises help maintain your metabolism and aid in achieving the “tone” you are in search of.
Weight Training for Weight Loss
• Weight Train 2-3 sessions per week
• Full body exercises with a focus on core muscles
• Basic exercises such as a squat, pushups from the knees, plank and row
• 4-5 exercises of 2-3 sets per workout
• Weight Train 2-4 sessions per week
• Full body exercises
• A mix of basic and more complex exercise selections
• Plank, Squat with weights, lunges, bodyweight pullup, pushups
• 4-5 exercises of 3-4 sets per workout
• Increased weight for greater challenge and benefit
• 3-5 sessions per week
• Full body exercises
• Challenging exercises
• 5-7 exercises of 4 sets per workout
• Increased weight for added challenge
• More “bang for your buck” exercises such as a squat + overhead press or a lunge + core rotation.
Weight training is an essential part of the foundation of a long-term weight loss lifestyle. Whether you are looking to lose weight, get “tone” or simply maximize energy burning, then weight training should be utilized consistently.
Call us to schedule a complimentary consultation so we can help guide you in the correct direction towards your goals. 201-951-8080
Here is a body weight strength and Yoga Flow:
Innovation Fitness Strength & Yoga Flow
Here is a bodyweight program from the Bar Brothers – Bar Brothers Body Weight Program
To your success,